With direct tooth bonding, your skilled Bellevue cosmetic dentists at Spektor Dental can:
- Repair a chipped tooth
- Fill gaps between teeth
- Cosmetically restore discolored or stained teeth
- Replace old fillings while restoring tooth strength and potentially gluing out decay
- Partially cover exposed root surfaces and reduce sensitivity at the gum line due to recession
What is dental bonding?
Bonding is composite resin (tooth-colored plastic) adhered directly to your teeth. The process is simple and may not require local anesthetic. Bonding is also the process used to apply porcelain veneers. With today’s new plastics, a quality cosmetic dentist can achieve beautiful results, with little to no visible difference between your natural teeth and repaired areas.
How is tooth bonding applied?
The whole process takes about one hour per tooth. Your cosmetic dentist will:
- Carefully choose a color to match the color of your adjacent teeth
- Apply a mild acid to etch finger-like grooves in the tooth surface
- Paint clear plastic into the grooves and apply a tooth-colored plastic molded to the proper shape
- Harden the material with a blue wavelength light
- Refine the final shape to give you a beautiful, natural result
Care instructions: Direct tooth bonding
While bonding is not permanent, with proper care your cosmetic bonding will last longer. Follow these tips to help ensure your tooth-colored bonding is effective and comfortable:
- To decrease staining, limit smoking and your intake of coffee, tea, blueberries and other highly staining foods. Regular cleanings in our office will ensure polish and shine.
- Floss well. Try to floss to the gum, and then pull the floss through instead of forcing it out.
- To prevent chipping and cracking, do not bite down on hard or sticky foods or candy.
- Cut up apples, carrots and other crisp fruits and vegetables before eating.
- Do not bite your fingernails or pick at rough edges.
- If you notice you are grinding your teeth, please call so we can construct a bite guard to prevent fracturing your bonded teeth.
Enjoy your new smile. Should an emergency arise, do not hesitate to call our office: (425) 454-1322.
Are you considering bonding to replace old silver fillings or repair a chipped tooth? Call for a smile consultation with with our Bellevue cosmetic dentists at (425) 454-1322.